Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Escape

Sometimes it just feels nice to have a break. Some sort of escape. Today turned out to be one of those days.

As usual I was running late and the buses were running even later, hence the need for a cab, credits to Hari and Co. The cab ride to the station was pretty eventful in itself. The cab driver was new in town and had trouble finding the parking lot, and the ten minutes we spent searching for parking space turned out to be quite em… colourful. And he didn’t charge me nothin’ extra neither!

The train journey was pretty nice as well. For one, it was unlike any other train journey I’ve been on. The terrain was quite plain, pun intended, but it offered some pretty interesting sights. Tons of new birds, none of which I could identify of course, although I spotted something that could have been an American Kestrel. There were certain moments where I could see just white and nothing else through the windows – snow covered fields against a foggy dull white sky – an eerily beautiful sight, which gives the impression that one is floating around in nothingness. Very inspiring.

It was superb fun walking around downtown Chicago to the (somewhat poorly maintained) subway station, and even better riding the lightning fast subway station. I witnessed my first subway jazz performance – it’s amazing how talented these people are and yet how hard they have to struggle to make a living.

O’ Hare is a little cookie-cutter but absolutely massive- whoever designed it must’ve been out of his bloody mind! The flight to Memphis was delayed by half an hour, which meant I had just ten minutes after I landed at Memphis to board my connecting flight to Fort Lauderdale. I did make it just in time, not failing to notice on my run to gate 38B that the airport at Memphis is fact pretty neat, what with its own jazz bar and all.

Right now I’m halfway between Memphis and Fort Lauderdale, sitting in between some ten Eastern European types who speak not a word of English. The other passengers seem somewhat uncomfortable with their presence. I wonder why. We should land in about half an hour’s time from now, and if the Wi-Fi on the plane wasn’t being leeched by the other passengers on the plane, this’d go online right now. On a completely unrelated note, The Pixies are a pretty cool band!

It’s funny how you yearn for specific company sometimes and it’s frustrating when you don’t get it, but one day of solitude in someplace new makes for a nice escape. This cartoon I made seems appropriate to me at this moment.

PS. I'm posting this from my uncle's home. Too bad the whole posting from 37000 feet above sea level thing didn't work out. Damn Wi-Fi leachers!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Pun, exotic shit!, Subway Jazz, O'Hare, Globetrotting.

Woohoo!

Solitude isn't bad, see? Loneliness is.

Kaustubh Thirumalai said...

Good stuff! I envy you for the train ride - would love to blast some Muddy World watching snow fields go by (or cold, grim black metal for that matter).

Thing with people and their music here is that the ones who are really dedicated - once they brand themselves a 'musician' - they try so hard to make a living out of it (atleast from what I've seen).

And hell yeah, its pretty tough to go wrong with The Pixies.

Also, where'd you get that cartoon?

@Pom: Thin line between solitude and loneliness da. One way of looking at it is loneliness is associated with mundane travel through time and solitude with unique travel through space (if that made sense). #justramblin

Bhargav said...

Thanks.

@Kau
I made the cartoon on paint.

@Kau @Pom
Right behind my unlce's house is a pond. Accipiters, gulls, pelicans, storks - the works! Tons of lifers already. I'll put up a list once I'm back.

Kaustubh Thirumalai said...

Dude - very nice paintjob there!

Also, list maadis.

Karthik Shetty said...

Really well written!!! Have a happy holiday season dude.

Unknown said...

Kau,

That did make sense in a poetic sort of way. Came out pretty well actually !

Anyway, you guys are better takes on the subject what with the miles of separation and all.

Shashi Iyer said...

Eh, dude, what's the pun about a terrain being plain?

Bhargav said...

Plain = flat land
Plain = dull

Shashi Iyer said...

The first one is usually used in its plural form. Plus it's a noun. You can't mean what you intend to by saying the "terrain was plain". The "plain terrain" may have gotten you some brownie point.

Bhargav said...

Hmm

B said...

I LOVE Pom's comment: "Solitude isn't bad, see? Loneliness is."
What e philosophical! :)

Shashi Iyer said...

I like the graphic very much. Keep the good stuff coming. It's just, the question on the pun ran my head while I was reading. Just wanted to clear that. Apart, not much I wanted to say, by way of a comment. Hope you weren't worried about the comments.

Bhargav said...

Aiyyo Shashi! Chill man! And thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks Bindu (presumably)