Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Home and back

Most of my posts over the last year or so have been closely associated with travel. Maybe it’s because a change of location brings with it a change in mental state of a strength that contrasts only too well against the relative insipidity that has come to be associated with my daily routine – a thought that I ought to keep in mind and develop, in the interest of more fruitful time management.

Bangalore is the same as it was a year ago. Namma Metro work still occupies most of the city's major roadways, and now sports an additional layer of cinema posters and advertisements. Traffic hasn't gotten any better, though I can't say with any level of certainty that it's gotten worse either.
 

The visit back home was near-perfect - time with family, a week-long escape to the countryside, meeting friends over weekends, some decent birding, and the great food and drink (read masala dosa and filter kaapi). The trip to Surathkal I so badly wanted will have to wait for next year, but that apart, there are few things I would have changed about this visit.

Having arrived questioning whether home would feel the same as it used to a year ago, I’m now preparing to leave, thankful that those qualms were unwarranted, and wishing I could stay for another month. To me, this has been more than a holiday; it has been an affirmation of my sense of belonging to the place I call home.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Om tat sat to that. (My substitute for amen)

Vikram said...

+1 :)

Bhargav said...

Es. Great trip it was! I'm surprised when people use words like "average" to describe their visits home. Even worse is "boring"!

Unknown said...

Sounds good, do you think so?

wow gold,Tera Gold,eden gold