Friday, January 7, 2011

Flying South for the Winter

Deciding to visit my uncle in Florida is probably the best decision I've made in a  long time. I was quite pleasantly surprised as I looked out the window, the morning after I arrived at my uncle's home.


After a bit of Googling, I discovered that right across the street was the Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge. I knew I was in for a treat. All I was missing was some fellow birders and a camera (my uncle didn't have one either) so I had to make do with my mobile phone and a notebook (which in fact worked quite well). The several walks in the warm South Florida sun were quite rewarding - tonnes of birds, most of them lifers, but more about that in the next post.

My hosts showed me a great time around the region. The Knicks vs. Heat game at the American Airlines Arena that featured some giants from the NBA was pretty sweet. The first live professional sporting event I've attended, now that I think about it! No, I have not been to a cricket match before.

The impromptu New Year trip with the UF baays and Vatal was terrific - New Years eve on South Beach Miami, and the the killer trip to Key West, that included some a very scenic drive through the Everglades and over bridges connecting the Florida Keys. Snorkeling at what is supposedly the world's third largest reef system, some 8 miles off Key West was absolutely superb; a Parrotfish and several Yellow-tailed Snappers were sighted amongst the many coral formations.

I could have hardly asked for a better vacation after a semester's slogging. The general wothla, the time with family at home, the wildlife, and the company, amongst other things turned this into a very memorable trip indeed. Now I'm back home in Urbana, with a new guitar, Cothas coffee and two weeks before the next term begins. All is right with the world again.

6 comments:

Kaustubh Thirumalai said...

You Bastard! Sounds really cool. And WHICH GUITAR???

Bhargav said...

Paul Reed Smith 25th Anniversary SE Custom 24. In Scarlet Red. It's pretty sweet.
http://www.prsguitars.com/25thsecustom24/index.html

Vineeth said...

Cothas Coffee? From where ??

Bhargav said...

From aunt who just arrived from India.

Unknown said...

Duude! No more cribbing about home sickness. It's my turn to complain about what I'm missing.

Bhargav said...

Haha!